May 01, 2014

Making My Own Mirrors-Window Trick

I love big windows because they give you lots of natural light, but what if all that you have is a small window such as in a basement apartment? Would you like to learn how to make it look like a large window? Better yet, would you like to make your window bigger and better in very little time with very little money? Have a look at the dreadful before pic of my tiny window that I wanted to be a focal point in my craft room.
Do any of you remember the song by the group, Abba entitled "I Have a Dream"? Well that was the theme song for the renovation of this basement space, I waited 18 years for my craft room! I wanted it to be different, creative and most of all beautiful but on a small budget so I couldn't ask for a large window for my room...yet! So what I discovered that could solve my dilemma and maybe yours too was called a faux transom. Faux meaning false or fake and transom describes a smaller window above a larger one being separated by a wooden or stone bar. Therefore a faux transom could become a decorative feature used to enhance a small window such as in a basement apartment or if you have small windows with very tall ceilings. So what do you need to make such a thing? Most everyone already owns one and if they need to buy one it is a cheap, easy to find item, you guessed right if you said the mirror.
This is another before shot of my craft room and you'll notice the common behind the door mirror hanging there, it was the length of my window width. So when it was turned on it's side it could fit  perfectly between the window and the ceiling, well with the carpentry skills that hubby has he made it fit. Seriously, with a few pieces of 1" X 3" pine strips the mirror was elevated to new heights!
The mirror wasn't glued to the wall or anything it was just framed around as if it were a full window but there was a dividing strip that became the resting base for the mirror. Then to spice up the plain look of the mirror two smaller strips were secured to mimic the bars you'd see in a regular window.  I chose a driftwood green wood stain for the walls and pickling white for the window trim and I loved the finished result, do you?
So at the end of the transformation I could tick off all the boxes in my wish list,  it now looks like a large window, it's different and  it's creative but most of all beautiful and budget friendly!

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant!
    And what a transformation- I love the colours you chose for the wall/trims. I'll bet there's a real airy feel to the space now. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well....it is a craft room so there's always something being created or attempted in there, let's just say it's my happy space! Thanks for the kind words Janet!

    ReplyDelete