May 15, 2014

Making My Own Mirrors- Sunbursts

My fourth post in the series of Making My Own Mirrors is going to focus on a new, trendy type of mirror that are referred to as sunburst mirrors. They are, as the title suggests a shape of mirror frame that mimics the rays bursting out from the sun with the center being the circular mirror. You may have seen them made with paint sticks, wood shims, chopsticks and other items but I went a different route and used driftwood for two of these first ones. I have a circular piece of particle board cut out an extra 6" larger than my 6" mirror to give me sufficient room to glue the driftwood along the outer ring.
The mirror was attached with a construction adhesive called PL Premium. Next it was time to do a general layout of how I would attach the driftwood sticks to the board before actually gluing anything. 
You'll notice the small gaps because of the curves in the wood so I had to play with the pieces I had a little to get the underlying wood completely covered  in. When you are happy with the lineup begin gluing and I just used a glue gun because the sticks are all lightweight anyhow.
You'd just continue to work along alternating every so often with some longer sticks added into the project to imitate the sun's rays of course until you end up with this. The reflection you see is the glass in my antique door, I'll share that with you later!
By now you should be learning I always like to change it up a little with each new project so out from the assembly line popped this second one using all flat pieces that were originally wood strips from lobster traps!
Both are now hanging in my craft room and I don't think I'll part with them... so I have a spare one made for when my daughter visits again this year and wants what she sees...I'm learning to be prepared!
Again it's made a little differently this time I used items from the dollar store, you'll never guess what!
Bamboo fencing for a garden border, it was perfect with the pointed edges and all!! Note: I didn't use the gorilla glue I used the PL Premium that I used to glue the mirror to the wood base with as well. This project was a little more tedious as I had to add a wood spacer in between each set of sticks so that the top layer had a base to rest on when I glued them in place. Sorry I didn't get a picture of this but if you try this project feel free to ask me any questions on what I did. Here's the finished product resting on my table waiting for my daughter to lay claim to it!
Okay so this concludes my series on making mirrors and to be honest if you saw me now you'd say "Well she doesn't own a mirror for sure"! I hear ya!!! But in the meantime, the main thing is to get creative and use what you have old, new, recycled, painted, etched it can all be tried when you make your own mirror!! 

2 comments:

  1. I love this Tracey! So stunning...I would never have thought to make something like this...So inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deborah Foglia we have inspired each other then as I love your work too, especially the painted burlap pillows! Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete