May 23, 2014

Images of Home

Living in a small, coastal community isn't for everyone since it offers a slower pace of life, but there's a bonus in that it offers the time to soak up what's around you. The simple, little things that often get overlooked in a fast paced life and seldom, if ever photographed! The picture above is a little fishing shed that I have driven by hundreds of times, but I never thought to photograph it for a keepsake! It has now become one of my favorite photos, why? Because everything about it looks like "home", all of the items here in the picture tell you that hardworking, humble and honest people live here in this place.
Again, a simple fishing shed doesn't make for a great photograph, but to me it is a flashback of where my relatives once worked very hard to earn a living as fishermen. This holds a special meaning to me now, as some of them have since passed away and I am left with a few, fond memories of them repairing nets or putting away their things after a long day catching and clearing away codfish. That was a way of life that is now no longer exists, it's only a part of our memories and as seen in photographs.
There's no glamour in getting old, but being a hundred years old is a milestone to achieve in human terms, so how about a building? Well the age of this fishing shed I cannot say but it's old enough to get it's picture taken to be preserved before it too succumbs to old age. 

Another image that I saw to photograph  is this old root cellar still standing after it's owners left it behind when they resettled many years ago and the large, old, chippy shed beside it but it makes for an awesome  photograph for me to keep as a reminder of  what "home" looked like.
The next picture has been preserved from a photo session I did 20 years ago, it was an old building then but now sadly, it's gone and the lobster traps as well. But, by retaking the photograph I now have it digitally stored and saved for a later time to share stories of "remember when". 
Living in this slow paced, little, coastal town has allowed me to soak up and photograph all of the beautiful spaces that I'd like to remember later when maybe they'll be long gone. 

2 comments:

  1. Linda Blackmore-Parsons25 May 2014 at 11:19

    Beautiful shots and beautifully stated about a 'way of life' I remember quite well . So sad but I applaud your efforts in preserving it . So nice for generations to come !!! Thanks so much for all you do ....I so appreciate it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Linda and there are a lot of people who share those thoughts but they might not think to photograph them before they lose them! I love them all, that have character!

    ReplyDelete