August 02, 2014

Driftwood Designs

Nothing but a pile of rubble you are thinking correct? I agree that it doesn't look like much, but guess what it can become with a little amount of cleaning, painting or gluing. One of the first projects I ever made with driftwood was a birds nest used as a decor piece in my home and from there it grew into other projects.  Then, last year when I was asked  by a teacher to bring in my driftwood projects and show her class what I had made. They were reading Cassandra's Driftwood and the teacher wanted to inspire them for their driftwood, crafting session.
 It was a craft marathon for me to come up with as many ideas as I could to show them the possibilities that there were open to them so I created several quick projects to add to what I already had made previously.
The first one, as I alluded to was a driftwood birds nest that had a Spanish moss nest and  tiny, imitation eggs and a bird that you'd find in craft stores. It was put together in about five minutes with a hot glue gun....tah-dah!
 The second project again 5 min or less with a hot glue gun were a couple of sailboats made with driftwood and scraps of fabric and given to two little boys as little souvenirs.
 

I had in the past, painted a piece of driftwood that looked to me like the shape of Toucan Sam on the cereal boxes, he made for a colorful garden piece.
So then I thought to do a smaller scale one on a piece of driftwood that looked to me like a Great Blue Heron?? Well that's what I saw anyhow... it might be a long, lost, ancient pterodactyl! Hahah!
Third project would be starfish made with tiny driftwood pieces that are glued to either a cardboard or wooden backing. I really enjoyed making these as it was relaxing as if I were fitting together a puzzle. 
As I mentioned in a previous post I made one and then when my daughter saw it she wanted it for her home so.....I had to make another one. 
Fourth project that I attempted was a sunburst mirror, the instructions are in a previous post on making my own mirrors if you think you would like to try making one as well. http://seatracecreations.blogspot.ca/2014/05/making-my-own-mirrors-sunbursts.html

Fifth would be my favorite piece that proudly hangs in our front entry right now is a monogram mirror edged with driftwood pieces. Instructions can be seen http://seatracecreations.blogspot.ca/2014/05/making-my-own-mirrors-monogrammed.html
Sixth, if all of this seems like too much work for you I have an instant projects that requires no glue, paint or skills. What is it? Just place small pieces in a large vase, dish, bucket or a basket to admire the many shapes and shades that driftwood comes in.
So now I hope when you see those piles of sticks on the beach you'll see all the great things that can be made with them. Too, if you have made or done  something with what you have collected, I'd love for you to share your ideas. Thanks, now go beach combing and have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment