April 18, 2014

Beauty in the Sky

Who can deny that there is so much beauty in a sunrise or a sunset? I love color and therefore I'm drawn to those times in the day when you can expect to see a spectacle in the sky. Luckily for me, I'm an early morning riser thanks to my dad's genes and I share his love of nature. It's the quiet, peaceful times in the early morning that you can ponder and reflect and fully absorb your surroundings. 


When you are at home and barely awake it seems like forever for the sun to rise, do you agree? That's one thing that I've noticed, it's actually only a few minutes between the light first appearing and the sun being fully exposed above the horizon! It's faster, way faster then I would have guessed, as is the swiftness of a sunset especially when you are trying to capture a photo.


The photo above and across were taken in early March when our mornings were very cold and crisp. A few days prior to this we had experienced -34 degree wind chills! Needless to say these were taken very quickly in order to maintain the heat in the car, grab a snap and go!

Happily, my reward came later when I got to upload and review the images, I loved them all but some stood out more than others due to the deeper colors that were captured. Have you ever wondered why the sky is full of reds, pinks and oranges at dusk and dawn?

It all has to do with the different wavelengths of the spectrum colors and how they are refracted depending on the distance the sun is from the earth. Red, orange then yellow have the longest wavelengths and blue has the shortest. So when the sun is on the horizon light has to pass through more atmosphere so only the colors with long wavelengths get through!

These two photos were taken the same morning as the previous two,but from a different location. It was a little later and much closer to the actual sunrise time. The above one you'll notice that the sun is still below the horizon and the dominant colors you see are reds and pinks. The second photograph the sun has emerged and the dominant sky color is orange.

Wouldn't you love to get up and go to work in the beautiful setting  in the photograph below? How could it be anything but ' Morning Glory'? Seems to me that it's the perfect name for a fishing boat!
The same is true for the beauty in an evening sunset, the beauty is there in the sky for all to see and enjoy.The first was taken in Winter and the second one in the Spring and last was a Summer setting.




2 comments:

  1. Great photos! The sunrise/sunset time is fantastic for photography!

    I'm Interested in info about the pics: camera, ISO, aperture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Scott, I can't get enough of the sunrises and sunsets! The camera is a Nikon Coolpix 610 and sorry to say it's as easy as setting it to sunrise or dusk/dawn setting and I click! I also edit and crop with Google Picasa but often not much gets edited, only cropped and watermarked! I hope this answers your question but I have looking to purchase another Nikon with 42X as this one only has 14 which would be awesome for the abundance of icebergs we have right now!

    ReplyDelete